Monday, January 26, 2015

"O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou, Romeo?"...by Gina Waite

Having a best friend is a wonderful gift! It’s a true luxury to know someone will be there for you through thick and thin…no matter what happens. To find acceptance for whom you are, even in your worst moments, loved unconditionally and loyally is a basic need that if not met, will continue to be searched for. I’m certain you've heard the saying, “the greatest thing you’ll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.” I’m happy to report…I have such a gift! My dearest friend Valli has been there for me through it all! What’s so fascinating for me to realize is the loving and loyal friendship that can exist between…well…pets and their owners.

Romeo, a most beautiful little Papillion, encompassed all the unashamed exuberance it is to be a dog. Never happier than to be on a long walk…Romeo loved sniffing and smelling everything he could along the way! His consistency to routine was recognized and adhered to AND Romeo’s inability to allow for a day without exercise was something to be admired! Romeo must have known how beautiful he was, as his gait and posture in prancing around the house was similar to that of an Arabian Stallion. Even though we recognized that “little man syndrome” CAN exist in pets…my kids absolutely adored him…but it was Grandpa Waite that reigned supreme in Romeo's World!





As Grandpa Waite lives with us…it was interesting to watch Romeo’s willingness to just “BE” wherever Grandpa was…and similarly as interesting to watch Grandpa’s willingness to stop whatever he was doing just to take Romeo on a walk. This commitment and dedication to friendship is something I've rarely witnessed in humans. Grandpa and Romeo, a friendship that was finalized just two weeks ago with a prayer of gratitude and a very tearful “adieu” has left an indelible void in ALL our hearts. For me, becoming a pet owner was motivated by the idea that Romeo needed us...but now without him here...I've come to realize that it was all of us who needed him! ”O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?”


♦ Hope you'll let me share your stories and photos here at my new residence "In a Nutshell." Email me at nutshellstories@gmail.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment