Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Just say, "Konnichiwa!"...by Jim Terry

Think about that ONE pet, your favorite, that you had while growing up.  I know there may be some of you out there that may not have had a pet when you were younger, but for those of you that did, which one was your favorite?  I must say that I was lucky enough to be surrounded by animals while growing up. We had a few dogs, several cats, I loved having a fish tank in my room and we were also raising and breeding horses at one point during my childhood.

My favorite dog we owned when I was younger was named “Freckles.” She was one of the most loyal companions I have known to date. While playing Tonto and The Lone Ranger with my sister, Lora, in our youth, Freckles would always be there by our side to help destroy invading enemies.  Sometimes the invading enemy would be the local farmer with his combine because our fort would be set up in the wheat field adjacent to our home.

My favorite fish was a goldfish named Jabber Jaws. To this day and as a young boy, I swear I could speak goldfish.

My favorite horse was named Flicka. Each and every morning before school, I would go out to the corral, climb the fence and ride her bareback, just to hang out with my friend and tell her to, “have a good day.” And with a quick “whinny” back at me, as I dismounted her and headed on my way to catch the bus, she inevitably would tell me to do the same.

However, of all these memories and pets that I had in my youth and getting back to the initial question I posed, the ONE FAVORITE pet I had while growing up was a tomcat named “Panther.” His beautiful fur coat was where he got his name. His fur was pure black with not even a hint of white or a discolored strand of fur to be seen. His eyes were that of a pale, but beautiful, green that were more striking due to the dark background of his fur. And if you were to see him physically, there was no question that he was a cat NOT to be messed with.

Each and every summer, as most tomcats do, he literally would take off for three to four months at a time. I remember each and every fall when he would return home, that there would be some other scar on his body, another portion of his ears ripped off or another war wound that was inflicted while he was trying to enforce his dominance in the territory for which he claimed was his.   

I also remember a day while weeding one of our gardens, which was located closer to the road on our property, that he warned off an aggressive neighbor’s dog that was going to bite me.  He did this by literally jumping onto the dog’s back and ripped enough hair from him that one might be able to fill half of a pillow with.  To this day and up until the day that dog passed, that dog NEVER trespassed on our property again.  And why am I bringing up my cat Panther at this time of year? Simply because of all of the myths, legends, and superstitions that are associated with black cats especially during Halloween.

Since the Middle Ages, especially in Europe, it was believed that "the black cat was a witch's companion or the witch herself transformed into a cat and of course could be up to no good." This misconception was one of the things that lead to hunting “witches” and with that also the death of several thousand black cats. Interestingly enough, some now say that the more rapid spread of the Black Death, during that time, was because of the cat killings. Could it be because the rats, which carried Black Death on their backs in the form of a rat flea, could then proliferate and prosper and not be hunted by the very same cats the people were killing? 

 Other superstitions I could find about black cats are…
-       It is bad luck, in several countries including the USA, when a black cat crosses your path.
-       In Italy, “if a black cat sits on the bed of a sick person, death will shortly follow.”
-       In China, a black cat symbolizes “famine and poverty to come.”
-       In Ireland, “if a black cat crosses your path in the moonlight, it means there is going to be an epidemic of sickness.”
-       In some nations, they believe that if you “chase a black cat out of your house, then good luck will never reside there.”

With that being said, some superstitions also speak of good about black cats…
-       In Scotland, “A black cat sitting on your porch” means that wealth will be coming to you.
-       For those of you that are married and in some cultures believe that “if you find a white hair on a black cat and if you can pull it out without getting scratched, it means that you will have a long, happy and prosperous marriage.”
-       In Latvia: “If black kittens are found in the silo they believe that they will have a good harvest courtesy of a spirit called Rungis.”

In looking at the two lists above and knowing that omens and superstitions go back thousands of years at times, I still am more than likely and inclined to believe the good superstitions about black cats. In Japan, they believe that cats, but specifically black cats, ARE GOOD LUCK at all times when they cross your path. I can say no different from my favorite pet Panther that crossed my path several years ago during my childhood. He brought me only happiness, companionship, and good luck.

So during your Halloween celebrations if that black cat crosses your path, maybe simply do as the Japanese do and just say, “Konnichiwa!” Then continue going about your fun and your trick-or-treating knowing that you just had good luck cross your path...which in essence, per Japanese superstition, may last a lifetime!  

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

♦ Hope you'll let us share your stories and photos here at our residence "In a Nutshell." Email us at nutshellstories@gmail.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment