Monday, February 5, 2018

"Get Out...Life Is Good"...by Jim Terry

Ok, so do I even need to ask? Who has been faithful to their commitments and New Year’s resolutions? It always seems to be about a month later when we all tend to fall off of the bandwagon and lose vision of what we wanted to do in order to change our lives for the better.  A lot of the resolutions I have heard from friends and family over the years are to lose weight, read more, spend more time with family, be more patient or even set a goal to go on a nice trip somewhere during that calendar year.  I know I have done all of those over the years but this year I decided to do something a little different from a lesson I learned this past year from a best friend. My commitment/resolution this year to myself, and to those around me, is to always remember and acknowledge each day of my life that, “LIFE IS GOOD.”

The last three months of this past year were really tough for me personally. I lost a beautiful loving stepmother, Kathi, on the 20th of November and the month prior to that on the 7th of October; I lost an amazing and wonderful best friend, Stephanie. Both succumbed to the effects of different types of cancer. 

Towards the end of March 2017, I was fortunate enough to fly out to Salt Lake City to see my best friend Stephanie.  She had arrived in the Salt Lake area only two months earlier, leaving her husband, family, and friends in Boise, to begin her journey in trying to fight her disease while being treated at the LDS Hospital. Her wonderful mother, Marcella, and father, Jim, who became her 24/7 support, accompanied her.  

The weekend started out really enjoyable and relaxing because I was able to spend time with her and her family in the condo they were renting.  I must say that the reality of what my friend had been going through really hit me when I glanced over at the kitchen counter as I entered their condo and easily saw at least twenty different types of medications she had to take on a daily basis. And even though she didn’t have a lot of stamina due to taking all of this medication and from a recent bone marrow transplant she had lovingly received from her Aunt Michele six weeks earlier, we caught up and joked around as best friends do…like we never had been apart.

March is also my birthday month and in light of me trying to give support to my friend Stephanie, by just being there for her, she insisted that we have a birthday party for me.  Knowing that her medical costs were a huge financial strain on her and her family and also maintaining two different residences in Boise and in Salt Lake City, I asked her if I could have some food delivered. She insisted that they would take care of everything and I just needed to be there. 

I arrived from my hotel on the evening she had set up for my party. The meal they provided was appetizingly great. The conversation that evening was invigorating, fun and even better than the meal they provided. And finally, what better way to compliment a birthday party than with a really tasty and mouthwatering dessert complimented by singing? This event, as it turned out, was also the last time I was able to physically hug my sweet friend, and have her hug me back, in a warm heart-felt embrace. When I think of this moment now, I really wished it was one of those times in my life where I wished I could freeze time in order to “savor the flavor” for just a bit longer.  

So after two to three hours of fun, it was time for me to leave for the evening so that my friend Stephanie could get some rest. Before I left, however, I was surprised to see my sweet fragile friend get up, walk around to the back of the chair she was sitting in, bend down and pick something up.  Unbeknownst to me, she had carefully hidden a gift she had purchased for me behind the chair she was sitting in.  I knew it would be something that I would like. She knew me so well and what I liked and loved. As she handed me the gift, I have to admit that I was indeed taken back and surprised by her sweet gesture.  So with a puzzled look on my face and my heart in my throat, I hesitated yet appreciatively accepted the gift she provided to me that day. 

Just so you all know, my friend Steph was always one of those people who always put the needs of others before her own. Here I observed her fighting for her life, yet in spite of this, not only did she insist it was essential to make me feel important on my day, but she also still thought it was necessary to give her friend, “Trashman,” a gift for his birthday. She knew of my love for nature.  There were several times during her medical treatments, that I would send her videos of my hikes to share my experiences with her to help give her a sense of hope and optimism and to take her mind off of things, if only for just a moment. 

As I slowly opened up the carefully wrapped gift, my friend Steph said, "now if you wear this while you are hiking, I can feel as though I am there with you." I couldn’t help but to break down and cry once I saw what she had given me.  It was something simple but had so much meaning to me even until this very day.  It was a matching hat and T-shirt both inscribed with the logo, “ GET OUT...LIFE IS GOOD.” I had to quietly ask myself in that moment, "How could someone going through what she was going through still be so optimistic and still think "life is good?" 

February is the birthday month for my friend Stephanie, on the 17th to be exact, and since this is the first time that I will not be able to call her and wish her a happy birthday, I wanted to make sure I let the world know what a positive example and influence she has been in my life by sharing the wonderful lesson she taught me that day. It's not too late for someone to do another resolution, is it? After all, New Year's day is just another day.  So my New Year's resolution, on this, the 5th day of February, and the lesson I learned from my dear sweet friend...”No matter what your circumstances are "GET OUT," have fun, look for the positives and remember that, YES, "LIFE IS GOOD!" 

***One more quick idea for a New Year's Resolution. It is never too late to do. SIGN UP and help someone save a life. 
https://bethematch.org/

In loving memory of my cherished best friend Stephanie Welty (1972-2017)

 ♦ Hope you'll let us share your stories and photos here at our residence "In a Nutshell." Email us at nutshellstories@gmail.com.  



No comments:

Post a Comment