Monday, August 24, 2015

"Reflecting in Flip Flops"...by Gina Waite

“Summer afternoon--Summer afternoon; to me those have ALWAYS been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” ~Henry James

Amazing how quickly time passes. It seems like yesterday I was expecting my first baby, Jordan. I remember reading ALL the parenting books I could get my hands on and felt very ready to take on the adventure of becoming a parent. My Mom would tell me to enjoy the time I had with my baby because time would pass quickly and before I knew it…he’d be graduating from high school. I’m not sure I believed her when I was up to my elbows in Dirty Diapers and Desitin….but reality has recently set in.

I’m a Mother of a senior in high school. Time passed WAY too quickly…and I’m visualizing the next 9 months that I’ll be much like the Grinch who, after realizing all the terrible things he’d done, dug in his heels and clung to the sled that contained all the Whoville Christmas treasure. I’m going to hang onto these last few months I have with my son! I don’t want him to grow up…AND…I’m so excited for him, that he can grow up! A conundrum that I’ll be reflecting on for the next year!


The summer has been wonderful and I hope it continues to be for everyone! As it’s the last week of summer break, I’ll be talking with my children about their favorite memories of summer 2015. I know I’ve got mine…visiting my sister in Washington, gardening with my daughter, my boxer-briefed son rushing to my rescue to detain satan’s squirrel (it’s its own Nutshell), reflecting and reading while watching the sunset, attending an Imagine Dragons Concert with my kids notably watching my son in the mosh-pit-of-madness (it NEEDS it's own Nutshell), finding the PERFECT Americana flag to place on my Mom’s grave knowing how much she’d love it, watching a 90-year-old Grandpa experience the Flying Aces at Lagoon, watching my children dance together at a summer ballroom camp…Awwwww the list goes on AND on! As much as I agree with Mr. James’ quote above, it’s Kellie Elmore that I’m relating to right now, “Some of the BEST memories are made in flip flops.”




heart emoticon
 Hope you'll let us share your stories and photos here at our residence "In a Nutshell." Email us at nutshellstories@gmail.com or visit us at www.marleneterry.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment