Thursday, July 10, 2014

"It's a Doggie-Dog World"...by Angie Terry

As I was sitting on my couch this morning with my furry little Athena, the goddess of the house, and looking into her beautiful big eyes and petting her tummy...she wagged her tail and licked my hand in thanks!  I sat there thinking that I should write about these wonderful additions to our life’s if we are so lucky to have, and love, a dog! 


I will never forget the experience I had choosing my last dog, Athena. I visited the humane society almost daily until I chose the dog for me...but wait I mean the dog chose me. I will explain. My daughter and I walked around the cages to look at the different dogs and I remember one such dog we fell in love with at first glance. 


He seemed happy to see us and moved slowly toward the cage to let us get closer and pet his head. He seemed content with us but just as we were thinking we might want this dog for our own, another mother and her son walked in looking for their next family member. As the dog caught a glimpse of the Mother, and her son, the dog started wagging his tail so excitedly!   

As I watched the exchange,  I thought for a moment and wondered, hmmmmm…… do dogs choose us?  My daughter and I stayed with the dog and his head followed the mother and son as they walked around the room. As they came back around toward the cage where this little dog was, he displayed the same reaction toward this other family. I felt I should tell the mother about it. I told her what I had witnessed and that this dog had chose them .I don’t know if they took that sweet friend home that day but I know that is where he wanted to be. 




After a few days of going back to look for a dog, it finally happened! The cutest little Westie just happened to be turned into The Humane Society, while I was there. I went to her and she wagged her tail so excitedly, just as I had witnessed the little dog with the Mother and son a few days before!  Even though she was shaking with excitement, she walked towards me and laid her little head in my hand. It was the sweetest gesture and immediately, I was in total love with this little girl. 




I did not realize how important that little dog would be to me on that very day we when we brought Athena to her new home. Every day since, a day has not gone by that each one of us, at some point throughout the day, has not said how cute she is and how much we love her! Athena has been there for us both especially in hard times. 




There was a point is my daughters teen years that she lived away for a few months and the only link that brought my daughter back home, was our ATHENA!  Oh my....how my daughter loves this little dog!   I thank my Athena from the bottom of my heart for loving us and  keeping my daughter and I bonded through the rough times. I could go on and on about Athena...the patience and unconditional  love ,the excitement when we come home even if I just walk to my car and come right back.  




I wish I was so happy to see a leash and as excited to go for a walk as a dog. I do believe most dogs are the closest thing to what our Father in Heaven expects for us to become. So willing to obey and love everyone!  Dogs don't discriminate and love regardless of race and socioeconomic status!  All they need to be happy is a blanket, water, food, and some love...Ahhhhh to be like a dog! 

Here are a few quotes I found that illustrate my feelings about my dog:

Gilda Radner:
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love .For me they are the role model for being Alive.”

Anatole France:
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

Marley and Me …John Crogan:
“Such short Lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.”

Andy Rooney:
“The average dog is a nicer person than the average person”

Josh Billings:
“A dog is the only creature on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”

One of my favorite quotes:

“Whoever said diamonds are a girl’s best friend never owned a dog.”



♦ Hope you'll share YOUR stories and photos with us at: nutshellstories@gmail.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment