Thursday, December 12, 2013

Loved By A Daughter...


It's difficult to not suffer from the loss of a Mother. I still remember when I first met her; I spoke very little English. She tenderly and carefully said to me that she wanted to be of help and that I should call her, “Momma.” It was a fitting name because she WAS like a mother to me and I miss her so. Feeling uncertain of my ability to write well, I wouldn't normally come out of my comfort zone and write something like this for others to read; but because I didn't have the chance to say "goodbye" or to tell her how much she meant to me, I hope to do so now by writing a tribute to her. Also, I hope that my actions showed her how loved she was as a mother, a mother-in-law, and as a grandmother. I'm grateful for the chance to have been part of her life, to have shared wonderful moments together, and for her memory that will forever be part of our family.

Fresh off the plane from Brazil, I still remember when I arrived here in the United States and the anxiety and nervousness I felt. I was so afraid that I wouldn't meet the expectations of my soon to be mother-in-law. ...You see, in Brazil if you don't make a good impression with your mother-in-law you are doomed (I think that must also be true in the United States)! I spent some time in Salt Lake with my sister who had recently married but soon, Richard, my soon to be husband, arrived to take me to my new home in Idaho Falls to meet my mother-in-law.



Upon arriving at her home, I felt my nervousness grow greater and greater with each step until we reached the front door. Before I knew it, Richard and I were standing at the front door and the doorbell chimed. The door opened and there was my new family. Surprisingly the one that was in front of them all, with arms opened wide,  was my mother-in-law. She called me by name and embraced me warmly. I couldn't understand much of what she said to me, but I could feel that she loved me. I knew at that moment that this would be my new family. Before meeting her, I feared that she might have felt like she was losing a son; after I met her, she proved that instead, she was gaining a daughter.

From that time on, Mom was always there to support us through every important and difficult moment. She called me on my birthdays. …She sent me gifts at Christmas. … She came to my side when my children were born. …She made long trips to visit us when we weren't able to visit her and she loved my children as much as I love them. ….Basically, she was ALWAYS there for us.

It is still hard not to miss her, but I know that spiritually we will always be together.


“Momma, I love you!”  Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment