Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Reflection...by Jim Terry


 Re·flec·tion noun \ri-ˈflek-shən\


1. The act of reflecting or the state of being reflected.
2. Something, such as light, radiant heat, sound, or an image, that is reflected.
3.  a. Mental concentration; careful consideration.
    b. A thought or an opinion resulting from such consideration.
4. A manifestation or result.

At this time of year it’s so easy to “reflect” on what we did this past year.  Isn’t this how “New Year’s Resolutions” were formed?  As I was doing this very thing today, I was shocked to see that “REFLECTION” meant much more than the two definitions, I thought “reflection”, meant in my mind.  …Of course in now reading and seeing how the world defines “reflection,” I know that all of us, at one point or another, have used each and everyone of these defined contexts in our lives.

“The act of reflecting or the state of being reflected.”-This is easy isn’t it?  …What did I do this year? What should I have done this year?  What are my goals for next year?  Again, how a “resolution” was formed many years ago.  

“Something, such as light, radiant heat, sound, or an image, that is reflected”- This has been and probably always will be one of my favorite meanings of reflection.  I love serene setting.  Don’t you?  Picture a lake with the mountains being perfectly reflected in the lake below with the white puffy clouds embracing the mountain tops. …The cliffs of the pacific coast that crash into the ocean only to be encompassed by the sweet caress of the sun kissing the horizon at it reflects off of the surface of the water as it sets into the sea. I have had the privilege and have been so fortunate to see many of these very types of settings in my life.  I am always amazed at how nature and this type of setting seems to be so fulfilling and can refocus people.

 “Mental concentration: careful consideration; A thought or an opinion resulting from such consideration.”-  Similar to the first definition on this list but I think this one is more than just an “act.”  This one is more of a meditative state. …Think of those times when you have been all-alone and heard a specific song or experienced a specific smell and how that ONE thing can open a floodgate of memories, laughs, chuckles and sometimes tears.  …Take me for instance when I hear the song “Beautiful” by Mariah Carey.

My Mom, when this song came out, LOVED this song.  So each and every time I now hear this song I can’t help but to think of my Mom, my Dad, and my brother Mike during Mother’s Day this past year.  …I rented a convertible red mustang to take us all on a drive up through the mountains from Boise to my Mom’s favorite pancake house in McCall.  But before we left from my parent’s home with all of us being belted in, the top down and weather just perfect that day; I stopped for just a minute and plugged my phone into the auxiliary jack of the radio.  And before we left I remember telling my Mother, “This song is dedicated to you Mom. The title says it all with how we all feel about you.”  And as the song began to play and we started our journey north, you could tell with my Mom’s warm heart, affectionate eyes and a “Thank you Jim,” that she was touched by this tribute of a simple song.   

“A manifestation or result:”- Quite simply put one’s reflection of themselves can help us achieve and accomplish great things. For instance… I have seen my Dad accomplish more things and tasks during the day than most of us ever thought of taking on in a week. This is a true REFLECTION of his character and the good man he is. 



So as we all start this REFLECTION process at the end of 2013 remember to do and try a couple of things…

#1- Don’t sell yourself short. ...We tend to beat ourselves up and criticize ourselves more than others would.  It’s okay to NOT be "PERFECT.”

AND

#2- TAKE OR MAKE THE TIME to find that coastline, that sunset, that mountain lake, that smell, that song or that SPOT that makes you feel most comfortable and REFLECT on what makes you most happy in your life.  I think you will find it’s exhilarating and will help you focus on what is really important…family, love, happiness and being content with what we have! 

HAPPY NEW YEAR and ALL THE BEST FOR 2014!


 







No comments:

Post a Comment