Monday, June 23, 2014

Trust...by Mary Hazlett

Did you ever do those "trust" exercises... you know the ones where you stand on the edge of a table and then fall back into the arms of people...that you hopefully trust?  I did that a few times in my high school years and needless to say, I might have trusted these people but I was a little stressed out that their arms would not hold my weight.  I cannot say that I ever got dropped amongst the "ughs" and "ohs" I heard when landing in their arms.  

The definition of trust is reliance on the integrity, strength, ability and surety of a person or thing.   There are things that I trust...like the sun.  It will come up tomorrow and go down just as predicted. Also, I can trust that time will continue to march on although I have things that still need to be accomplished.  I can trust that my children will make me laugh, cry, and swear tomorrow...maybe all in about a 10 second time span.  Also, that my favorite Diet Mountain Dew will be the highlight of my breakfast and will get me through the rest of my day.  

The people we trust in our lives are a great treasure too.  My husband is ever reliable.  I call him "My Deep River", because he is true to his course, a source of life, and a force of good.  My dad is pretty awesome too.  I might refer to him as "My Energizer Bunny".  He just goes and goes and goes.  Of course, trust is people is quite different than trust in things.  It takes time, consistency and integrity to gain someone's trust.  

My darling little girl, just barely two years old gave me a great example of trust... We went riding on the four wheelers for nearly a whole day.  We were set up with Ben and I on one four wheeler and my dad and kids on the other four wheeler.  I just knew that this was going to be great and fun but truly I was a little nervous about how Nicole was going to be getting some rest on this very busy day.



Needless to say, she found comfort in her Pop's arms and took a little snooze on the trail.  If you look closely at the picture you can see her eyes are shut with complete and utter trust.  Though, I may have been happy to see my little girl so content with her Pop Pop... my reaction paled in comparison to my dad's.  He almost looks as content as my little girl in this picture.  


Trust is such a powerful thing in life.  It is a two-way street.  A favorite quote of mine is, 

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.
Corrie Ten Boom 



Be happy this Monday and know that you are in good hands!
Share your stories with us at nutshellstories@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment