Wednesday, April 2, 2014

1914...by Jim Terry

Have you ever thought back about how much things can change in a hundred years?  Just recently, I had the opportunity to reminisce about this due to a wonderful woman that has been a part of my life for 44 years.  Let’s first take you back to 1914.  What was going on and what was the significance of this year you may ask?

Well here are a few known and important facts about 1914…
-       - Ford Motor Company wages jump from $2.40/9-hr day to $5.00/8-hr day
-       - 1st steamboat passes through Panama Canal
-       - Henry Ford introduces an assembly line for Model T
-       - NY Giants & Chicago White Sox play an exhibition baseball game in Egypt
-       - 1st airplane flight from LA to SF
-       - The Republic of China joins the Universal Postal Union
-       - 1st successful blood transfusion (in Brussels)
-       - Babe Ruth's 1st professional game (as a pitcher) is a 6-hit 6-0 win
-       - Ship rams Canadian ship Empress of Ireland on St Lawrence R; 1024 die
-       - US signs treaty of commerce with Ethiopia
-       - Austria-Hungary issues ultimatum to Serbia leading to WW I
-       - World War I begins on 28th of July
-       - The largest one-day percentage drop in the history of Dow Jones Industrial Average, down 24.39%.
-       - German plane drops bombs on Dover England
-       - Colonel Jacob Ruppert & Cap Huston purchase NY Yankees for $460,000

Looking at all of these events that happened in world history in the year 1914 there are none of them that are as important or as great as one single event within that same given year.  That one date was the birth of a very special woman on the 11th of July. Her name...Sybil Oxborrow.

Sybil came from a family of eleven siblings and was second to the youngest child.  She ended up finding a good man to marry named Delile Terry and had eight kids of her own.  An avid fisherman herself, she loved to spend time each summer at their favorite destination known as Hot Creek.  She had a total of thirty-eight grandkids, forty-three great grand kids and twenty great great grand kids.  Truly an amazingly legacy from one amazing person.


I want to direct you to a wonderful tribute about Sybil written by my Mother entitled, “An Expert in her Field”.  I couldn’t have said things as nicely or as eloquently about Sybil as my Mother. She truly had an amazing ability to write. http://marleneterry.blogspot.com/2013/11/an-expert-in-her-field.html.  

Also I want to share with you one more time my Grandmother’s astonishing ability to play the piano if you missed it the first time around. It really is something to behold… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHAmHDQuMII


Finally, I am so proud to say that I have known this person and have had the opportunity to have her as a part of my life as my “Grandma!”  I can only image the “family reunion” she must be having right now with her hubby, her parents, her grandparents, her eleven siblings, my Mom, her daughter and all those that truly loved her and have been patiently waiting for her.  “Grandma, I am going to miss you terribly in this life (as I shed a tear) and have to say "goodbye" for now, but I am so happy for you that you are free from pain and that you are finally HOME! I LOVE YOU!





****Due to the loss of our Grandmother and Best Friend, “In A Nutshell” will return on Wednesday, April 9th so that we may cry…laugh…be together and celebrate the wonderful life of Sybil.   Thanks SO MUCH for your support!!!****

No comments:

Post a Comment