Friday, April 25, 2014

A Day's Work...by Mary Hazlett

I smiled the other day as I was taking care of my very spirited son and my very sweet daughter.  I love my job right now.  Almost two years ago, I began my "sabbatical" to raise my children.  Prior to this I worked either part time or full time as a dental hygienist.  You know, I loved that too...my patients that is.  I got to hear so many wonderful stories from them on relationships, graduations, births, deaths, retirements, and trips.  In fact, I loved some of my patients so much that I still get emails from them once and a great while.

But today...I got to walk around a pet store with my children with no kind of agenda, schedule, or list of items to get.  Unforgettable the fun we all had. Fishes, ferrets, bunnies, a bearded gecko, a love bird, neon tetras, snakes (yuck), kitties, and I even enjoyed looking at the bin of live crickets. 






One of my favorite life quotes is from a very talented man, Thomas Edison.  As you might know, he overcame amazing odds.  He was the baby of seven children, was considered a "poor student" (which it was then his mother took over the role of teacher and nourished his excitement for learning), and raised himself from quite the humble circumstances.  All of which he developed over 1000 patents that  included the telegraph, phonograph, electric light bulb, alkaline storage batteries and Kinetograph.  All the while he began his own electrical business which evolved into the General Electric...Even after all this he stated "I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun."



Amazing perspective! Don't you think?  Happy Friday Everyone!!

Please share your stories with us at nutshellstories@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment