Thursday, April 17, 2014

Eggs-cellent...by Gina Waite

I walked passed the dairy section in the grocery store the other day and a couple thoughts occurred to me: First, that I had better pick up several dozen eggs for the upcoming Easter weekend; AND second, I was desperately hoping that I could find my Mom's hand-written, hard-boiled egg instructions! I don't know if you're like me but for years I struggled with understanding how to boil the perfect egg..that is until my Mom explained the process to me (which I have since found out that she learned from Better Homes and Gardens!) With Easter upon us, and the underutilization of all those left-over hard-boiled eggs, I'm sure you're trying to find a tutorial on how to boil the perfect egg...and ideas of recipes of what to make with all your left-overs....so let me make your job easy and help you out a bit!




My Mother, in addition to all of her innumerable talents...could boil an egg to perfection...all without the green-ring around the yolk and seemingly easy to peel! Once my Mom had those hard-boiled eggs in hand, she then would make the BEST, deviled eggs anyone EVER tasted! So if you're wanting perfect, hard-boiled eggs this Easter season...or anytime in the future for that matter...make sure to follow ALL the directions below:.

Hard-boiled Eggs

Step 1: Place eggs and water in a saucepan
§  Arrange the eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan so they cook evenly. Do not stack them.
§  Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch.

Step 2: Bring water to boiling
§  Heat saucepan over medium-high heat until the water comes to a rapid boil (water will have large, rapidly breaking bubbles).
§  Immediately remove pan from heat.

Step 3: Cover and let stand
§  After removing from heat, cover the saucepan and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
§  Drain the eggs, then run cold water over them or place them in a large bowl filled with ice water until the eggs cool.  Drain water and dry eggs.  Place in the refrigerator to help with ease of peeling! 


And for all those of you who'd like my Mom's Eggs-cellent deviled Egg recipe...follow the above directions then...follow the directions below:

Deviled Eggs to Die For

Ingredients:
*6 hard-boiled eggs
*1/4 cup mayonnaise
*1 teaspoon vinegar
*1 teaspoon prepared mustard
*1/8 teaspoon salt
*1 dash ground black pepper

Directions:
*Cut 6 hard-boiled eggs in half lengthwise.
*Remove yolks.
*Mash egg yolks with all other ingredients
*Fill egg whites with yolk mixture.
*Sprinkle paprika to taste....ENJOY!

Share your stories, or egg recipes,  with us at nutshellstories@gmail.com!




No comments:

Post a Comment