Friday, August 23, 2013

A stupor of thought ... 450 words ...


Marlene Terry
Ever had one of those "stupor of thought" days?
You know. It's that space etched in time that happens after experiences and sometimes life lessons leave you absolutely speechless and unable to express your feelings.

It happens to writers especially after delivering descriptive text, hour after hour, day after day and year after year. Some call it "writer's block." And believe me when I say it really does happen.

... Like now.

Got up this morning and try as I might I just couldn't think of one thing to write about. ... Even after four squares of chocolate, looking through my "photos to use for the column" file, and running up and down the stairs several times to increase the flow of blood to my brain 
... OK. I only ran up and down the stairs once, but my intentions were good. ... I also became pretty skilled at hitting the garbage can with rolled up paper balls ... but NOTHING!

It was like the time one of my very shy teenage sons, unbeknownst to me, appeared on stage at a community talent night, dressed as Tina Turner and lip synced "What's Love Got to Do With It."  ... I was definitely speechless then. ... Or my blind date with Roy, a cross between a hillbilly and a Neanderthal.
His claim to fame and what he said "em-pressed the gals the most" was he could "hawk a loogie" (don't ask if you don't know the meaning of that) further than anyone around!
... I promise it was only in self defense that I remained silent that night ... as well as being from another country and not able to understand the language, as my friends explained to him.

Still fresh in my mind is the night I received my engagement ring. It will always be a wonderful 'without words' memory. 
The truth is, it was a huge surprise, I was on cloud 9 ... 10 ... and 11 at the same time, and for all intents and purposes and although the tears flowed freely for hours, I just really didn't know what to say.

The birth of each of my children and later my grandchildren, have also been thrilling but quiet, reverent moments ... and all those unexpected expressions of love and appreciation too.

... And what about that unbelievably beautiful December sunset a few years ago? Took my breath away ... and all my words!

... So because it's one of those days for me today ... for this column at least, just sit back, relax, close your eyes and think of your own "stupor of thought" moments ... soak up the feeling, smile and enjoy!

♦ Hope you'll let me share your stories and photos here at my new residence "In a Nutshell." Email me at nutshellstories@gmail.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment