Monday, May 12, 2014

"FIRSTS"...by Jim Terry

As I was sitting just thinking the other day, I couldn’t help but to think of all the “FIRSTS” in my life.

The FIRST time I rode my bicycle without the help of training wheels or one of my parents supporting me and running along side me making sure I didn’t fall.  Isn’t that something that a lot of us remember?  I remember the feeling of exhilaration as I sped down
the sidewalk with the cheers and the laughter of my parents as their little boy did it all “by himself.”  It’s a giant step or transformation in childhood where you go from that little boy or little girl that needs help into a “grown up”, at least in the mind of children, which can NOW do everything by themselves and not need help.

My FIRST real kiss from someone other than a family member…it actually was a “double dog dare” from one of my siblings or one of my friends.  The girl's name that was to receive that kiss was Therese.  It wasn’t like one of those “gross”—gross to a child—slobbery kisses you see on the big screen but a quick peck on the lips.  I remember my heart started
pounding faster and faster as I approached this girl.  She had absolutely NO IDEA what was about to transpire...even my palms got sweaty.   As I quickly grabbed her and noticed a bit of shock on her face, that's when I moved in...SMACK!!!  As I turned to run away and did so as quickly as I could after the kiss, I heard the giggles of Therese and her friends as well as the giggles of my siblings that put me up to the “MAIN EVENT” in my life at the time. I didn't care though because that was my next step to becoming a man.  I was five!  ;0) 

My FIRST solo flight!  For those of you that do not know me, it has always been a dream of mine to fly and become a pilot.  Christmas 1995 was one of the best memories I have with my family and the love that a parent can have for a child.  Coming from a large family, there were times that were financially challenging dependent upon the economy and how many homes or building projects Dad had going on.  This year was no different with some of the financial challenges we were having.

My Mom always aware of what her children said or wanted had listened to me for years express my love for flying and knew I was saving money to get my private pilot’s license.  So this particular Christmas I received the last little bit of money I needed from Mom and Dad, even though times were tough, to help me achieve my dream.  Tears of SHOCK and JOY filled my eyes with the opening of my gift that day.  It was only a short 6 months later that I planned my FIRST solo flight on the wedding anniversary of my parents to commemorate the wonderful gift I had received from them. That was June 15th, 1996, at exactly 2:26pm in aircraft "November, one, five, two, Romeo, Charlie"! (There is a unique tail sign given to each aircraft to identify it).

So many "FIRSTS" in all of our lives…As I was thinking about all the "FIRSTS" in my life, I knew that I had just “survived” my FIRST Mother’s Day without my Mom here…to spoil her, to love her and to spend time with her.   It was only a year ago that I was able to, on Mother’s Day, whisk her away in a red convertible up to her favorite sourdough pancake house in the mountains and see her enjoy the sun on her face, the wind in her hair and hear a “whoo hooo” as we sped off out of their cul-de-sac to reach our destination. 

Thinking about this it reminded me of other "FIRSTS" in my life that weren’t necessarily accomplishments but "FIRSTS" of another kind…the FIRST storybook that was read to me by my Mother at “bed time.”  The FIRST “owie” on my arm that needed a Mother’s kiss to make it feel better. My FIRST big fall off of a ladder onto the concrete below at one of my Dad’s construction projects and Mom staying up all night to watch and make sure her little boy didn't have any complications with the concussion and the cracked skull he had sustained. The FIRST “way to go son”, on an all “E” report card in grade school. (“E’s” or Excellent used to be what is now known as an “A” on a report card).  My FIRST steps with my Mom holding my hands so I didn’t fall.  My FIRST costume for Halloween that was sewn by non other than my Mother.  My FIRST heartbreak as a child…my Mother stayed there and cried with me.  My FIRST…  

What are some of your "FIRSTS" with your Mother?

Lastly, I want to end my thoughts today with a very special paragraph/statement that was shared with me by a special friend who knew I would be missing, yet cherishing, celebrating and remembering, my Mother.  The Author is “unknown.”

“Your Mother is always with you. She’s the whisper of the leaves as you walk down the street. She’s the smell of certain foods you remember, flowers you pick, the fragrance of life itself. She’s the cool hand on your brow when you’re not feeling well. She’s your breath in the air on a cold winter’s day. She is the sound of the rain that lulls you to sleep, the colors of a rainbow; she is Christmas morning. Your Mother lives inside your laughter. She’s the place you came from, your first home, and she’s the map you follow with every step you take.  She’s your first love, your first friend, even your first enemy, but nothing on earth can separate you…not time, not space...not even death.”

I hope that ALL of us cherished, remembered or spent some time this past weekend with the wonderful and very important women in ALL of our lives known as MOTHER! If not, make sure it becomes a FIRST very soon.  Each new day can become a FIRST.

Love and miss you Mom...Your "Jimbay"

...Happy Monday!  I say celebrate Moms one more day! 








No comments:

Post a Comment