Thursday, November 7, 2013

Those who wait ...

Marlene Terry

I don't believe  I've ever told you about my little tamarack tree.
It's out in my backyard and has grown about a foot just THIS year.

Tamaracks aren't a common sight in the Treasure Valley. But if you travel up into the lush hills surrounding picturesque McCall, they're everywhere.

You'll notice them most often in the fall. That's when those evergreen-looking (although they aren't) trees, turn the most beautiful, deep gold color you've ever seen, drop their leaves (those that look just like pine needles), and remain bare, until spring.

When we first planted our tamarack, it was hardly more than a twig. And believe me when I say there were many naysayers.

"A tamarack will never grow here in this heat," was a common comment. "It's just going to wither up and die."
"I think it's against the law to have a tamarack growing in domestic conditions," was another warning. "They're supposed to be left alone in their environment."

... And that environment?

It's as I said, the hills surrounding the McCall area in Idaho, Cascade Lake, and where the altitude is high, and the weather is cool and wet in the summer and very, very snowy in the winter.

That environment was where I first saw them, during a Sunday drive in the fall many years ago. And the sight blew me away.
... Suffice it to  say, smart idea or not, I just had to have one of my own.

... Of course you NEVER, EVER just go to the hills and dig one up. ... I've been told that numerous times as well.
But if someone digs up a tamarack on their private property and gifts it to you, a friend? Then it's OK.
... Even if that friend plants it in domestic conditions, out of the correct environment and the tree is probably going to wither and die anyway!


I 'm kidding of course. But for the first few years, I wondered if those warnings were correct and we really had made a mistake.
After all the tree did struggle with the heat. It's growth was miniscule and when the time came that it should have turned a brilliant color of gold, the leaves just seem to wither and fall off.

Last year though, something happened. Our tamarack began to thrive of all things.
It was exciting to watch and we could hardly wait until fall.
... Same thing though, the fall came and the leaves just withered and fell off.

... But this  year?

I'm sharing a photo of our now about 4-foot high tamarack that is sporting gorgeous deep gold leaves and making me, appropriately for this time of the year, very, very thankful that it's here!

... Guess that old saying is true. Good things really do come to those who wait!

♦ Hope you'll let me share YOUR stories and photos here at my residence "In a Nutshell." Email me at nutshellstories@gmail.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment