Thursday, October 24, 2013

A spooky story ...


Because of the time of the year it is, I've decided to share a spooky story.

I'm sure many have already heard at least one version of this tale. But after I became aware of the story, sent to me years ago by the office of a then state senator, it's become my favorite.

Following is the version I like the most. There's also a very interesting video to watch that adds even more details to what we've heard about DC the Demon Cat.

... Enjoy!

Demon Cat (or D.C.) is the name given to the ghost of a cat which is purported to haunt the government buildings of Washington D.C.

The story of the Demon Cat dates back to the days when cats were brought into the basement tunnels of the Capitol buildings to kill rats. Legend states that the Demon Cat is one who never left.

Its home is supposedly the basement crypt of the Capitol which was originally intended as a burial chamber for President George Washington.

According to legend, the cat is seen before presidential elections and tragedies in Washington DC, allegedly being spotted by White House security guards on the nights before the assassinations of John F. Kennedy and Abraham Lincoln.

The cat is described as being black and the size of an average house cat; but witnesses report that the cat swells to "the size of a giant tiger,"  about 10 feet by 10 feet, when alerted.
The cat then either explodes or pounces at the witness, and disappears.
In the 1890s the cat is said to have inexplicably vanished when some Capitol Hill guards fired at it, and another guard supposedly died of a heart attack after seeing it. 

... As I said ... SPOOKY!
 

♦ Hope you'll let me share YOUR stories and photos here at my residence "In a Nutshell." Email me at nutshellstories@gmail.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment