Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"I love you too" ...


Marlene Terry
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. I absolutely LOVE this time of the year.

Seems like something wonderful happens to us when temperatures cool. Being that schedules settle down some, and there's less work to get through outside, we tend to take the time to think ... especially about others, remembering those who have touched and still touch our lives.

Kids are great at remembering and always set a good example.

Throughout my life I've been privileged to work with youth groups in our church. Of course I've loved many wonderful teenagers because of that, but also kids between the ages of 8-11.
That bunch always seems to want to help out or perform a "secret service."

I've raked leaves off many lawns with them, weeded gardens, accompanied them on  Christmas Caroling excursions and their favorite thing to do, made special treats and delivered them anonymously with the "ring and run" method.
Those times they prefer to hide out in the trees and bushes and watch as the recipient opens the door to receive the gift.

It's always the same.

First there's the look of surprise  and joy. Then they'll walk out onto the porch and scan the trees and bushes hoping to discover who was sweet enough to do such a thing.
Last but not least are the comments.

"How nice," is a common remark.
"Wish they would have stayed and visited," is another.
.. And a favorite memory ...
"Thank you so much," one elderly lady called out into the night as she pressed to her heart the plate that held a big heart-shaped cookie with a "YOU ARE LOVED," icing message.
... "I love you too," she continued shouting with tears of joy.

That's why on Sunday, when the doorbell rang at my house and I opened the door to find my own wonderful plate of cookies ... chocolate chip and delicious ... with a "You've Been Booed" handwritten message, I couldn't help but shed a few tears of my own.

Amid the giggles coming from a distance in the dark, I stepped out onto my porch and scanned the trees and bushes hoping to discover who it was that was sweet enough to do such a thing.

... And by the way ... "I LOVE YOU TOO!"

♦ Hope you'll let me share YOUR stories and photos here at my residence "In a Nutshell." Email me at nutshellstories@gmail.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment