Thursday, October 3, 2013

Something wonderful ...

Marlene Terry

I just can’t help but smile when I think about it.

On Sunday we attended church with our youngest daughter, her hubby and two of our sweet grandkids.
It was our 4-year-old grandson’s very first Sunday program, along with the other children of the congregation, ages 3 to 11, who one time each year are responsible for delivering an inspiring message to the ADULTS for a change.

I really don’t know what it is about those times. But there's something really wonderful about watching a group of children, all dressed to the nines, looking sweet and innocent as they sing special songs, tell stories and quote scriptures.

It also cracked me up to watch the entire front row. They were the youngest participants and included three little boys … our grandson was one, and three or four little girls who were lined up on the other side of the pulpit ... for a reason.  ...An obvious attempt to help them to keep their busy, little bodies focused and still, and add a little more reverence to the day.

The prayer was said, the introduction to the program was given and the pianist began with the accompaniment for the first song.
That’s when they … the kids on the front row at least … noticed who was out there watching them.

There were parents and siblings of course, but also aunts, uncles, friends … and us … several grandparents with ear-to-ear smiles, seated as close to the front of the chapel as possible.

Needless to say it was impossible not to throw kisses back to them in return for their excited, wide open mouth, exclamations of “That’s my grandma and grandpa,” which one or the other would mouth every few minutes, and the jumping up and down while waving “Hi Pop-Pop,” gestures.
… And I could tell I wasn’t the only one who was touched … and proud.

“I am a child of God,” the words to the song rang out through the room like one of those little butterflies that shows up early in the year to give hope to a winter-weary people, that in spite of the gray world of the present, another beautiful spring is about  to arrive.

“Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,” the song continued, a message to their families and teachers. 
“Help me find the way. Teach me all that I must know, to live with Him someday.”

Amid tears … ours … we listened as the children delivered their spoken parts. They weren't perfect, and some needed help from their teachers, who by the way, also had to dab away the tears. 
But each speech, priceless and profound, was a testament of the sincere and unwavering love the kids felt for their Heavenly Father, their families and for one another.

… At the end, the children hugged all those who were special and had come to see them perform. And then they scurried happily out of the chapel to their classes … completely oblivious to the impact they’d made on family and friends … and especially hearts.

… As I said, something wonderful!

♦ Hope you'll let me share YOUR stories and photos here at my residence "In a Nutshell." Email me at nutshellstories@gmail.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment