Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Down in the Mouth...by Jim Terry


Kind of funny how life has it’s ups and downs isn’t it?  …One day you’re up and one day you’re down.  I had the hardest end to any year I have ever experienced this past year.  So as I was thinking about this rollercoaster ride called “LIFE”, I had to ask myself, “what does down in the mouth” mean to me? 

Well for me, since I do work in Dentistry, that literally means I am “down in the mouth.”  But this expression can also elude to the fact that we may be “filled with melancholy and despondency; gloomy; …grim views; …darkening mood; lonely or blue; depressed; dispirited; downcast; …or feeling discouraged and downhearted."  In one word…sometimes life can just “SUCK.” 

It is also interesting to me how certain terms can mean such different things in different areas of the country. How many of you are familiar with the term “ The Mavericks?”  To some this may mean watching a basketball team while sitting court-side in Dallas. Others would consider a “Maverick” to be their favorite restaurant. People who have experienced or lived in the south Floridian culture would definitely know the musical band, “The Mavericks.”  However In “Cali”, especially in Northern California, “The Mavericks” lay claim to some of the biggest surfing waves in the world. 

These waves are generated generally during the winter months.  They are located approximately 2 miles from the shore outside Pillar Point Harbor just north of a little seaside town called Half Moon Bay. These waves can start at heights of 25 feet and top out at over 80 feet high contingent upon the ferocity of the storms, the underwater rock formations in the area and undertows present at the time these waves are created. 

I had the opportunity to take a wonderful hike after work the other day along the Northern California coastline and experience these “Mavericks.”  Being a little “down in the mouth” with “stuff” going on at the moment, I just had to get out to think and be close to nature.  I was amazed to see that some of the waves coming in would not only climb over rocks that were easily 20’-25’ out of the water, but they would totally engulf those same rocks until they decided to retreat back into the depths of the sea.  …And the coastline itself was vibrant, ALIVE and bright with lots of shrubbery and flowers that were in full bloom only to be enhanced by that ever so famous SMELL of the ocean.


 So as I was pondering things and continued on my journey, which lasted over 6 miles, I ended up thinking that I wasn’t as bad off as I thought I was. In light of these big maverick waves of life that come in from time to time and make it hard to stay afloat or to catch a breathe of fresh air like theses rocks I witnessed in the ocean, I realized I still have my health, my family, many wonderful people in my life and many many blessings to be thankful for. 

My advice to you…if you are having one of those “down in the mouth days” and those waves rolling in are feeling big and overwhelming, look to the lighthouse on the shore and remember those who love you, inspire you and count on you. The rest will fall right into place and will work out somehow. 

…Oh and before I forget and since it is my job and all…”Remember to brush and floss!!!”  ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment