Thursday, March 27, 2014

Texting Trivia...by Gina Waite

As I was recently texting with my teenage son...it became very apparent that I am no longer "in the know" of all things text!  I'm amazed how little effort goes into writing personal letters and emails...but even more befuddled that texting has become it's own minimized art form.  I do realize that the idea behind a text...brief communication when one can't talk...is brilliant;  I'm just amazed at the vastness of the acronyms used in today's HIP society!   I'm also laughing that in some cases, the acronym would almost be more difficult for me to remember than just to simply write the darn words out!



Just so I could understand what my son was trying to text me, I went a bought myself a "Texting Dictionary of Acronyms" (www.textingdictionaryofacronyms.com).   I'll include the link in case you'd like to go buy the dictionary for yourself...but just for the sake of your (and my) up-to-date texting knowledge...the following  is a little Thursday Texting Trivia for yah!  In doing this we can all "CUWTA" (Catch Up With The Acronyms)...I did not make that acronym up, it's truly in the dictionary!  I'm listing some of my favorites...check them out...either you'll be entertained by reading them Or you'll be HIP and start using them:


A?.................................................................................Eh?  (particularly important if you live in Canada)

AAMOF..........................................................As A Matter Of Fact  (AAMOF, this may come in handy)
AFPOE.....................................A Fresh Pair Of Eyes (I'm heading toward FIFTY...I may need this soon)
AFJ........................................................................April Fool's Joke (This will come in handy next month)
BITCH.....................................................................Basically In The Clear Homey (had you goin' didn't I)
BJJDI................................................................Billy Joel Just Drove In (I'm hoping I can use this in a text)
BON...............................................................Believe It Or Not (I was hoping this was short for Bon Jovi)
BWDIK.................................................................But What Do I Know (better question I've never heard)
CRAP.............................Cheap Redundant Assorted Products (the acronym and definition imply the same)
CRC.................................................Can't Remember Crap (see above mentioned heading toward FIFTY)
CT..................................................................................................Can't Talk (Isn't that why we're texting)
DDSOC.............................................Different Day Same Old Crap (Man there's a lot of texts about crap)
DGTG................................Don't Go There Girlfriend (This needs choreographed hand gesture to go with it)
DILLIGAD..............................................................................Do I Look Like I Give A Darn (Well...Do I)
DPUP...............................................Don't Poop Your Pants (Hoping my kids never have to text this to me)
EPAD...................................................................Eat Poop And Die (Another text I hope never to receive)
FGAI.......Forget About It (You can only use this if you promise to read it with a Bronx accent in your mind)
FOC.................................................................................................Full Of Crap (again with the crap talk)
FYSBIGTBABN.................Fasten Your Seat Belts It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night (LOVE Bette Davis)
G1........................................................................................................Good One (Man that's a good one)
HIOOC.............................................Help I'm Out of Caffeine (Could have texted that one so many times)
HBB...................................................Hip Beyond Belief (Now that you know these acronyms you will be)
IAYM.......................................................................I Am Your Master (Can't wait to text this to my kids)
IHA..................................................................I Hate Acronyms (Seriously feelin' this one right about now)
IJPMP............................................................I Just Peed My Pants (Could have texted this while pregnant)
IMHO......................................In My Humble Opinion (If you're giving your opinion, are you really humble)
IWALU.....................I Will Always Love You (Great song and text message going to Heaven for my Mom)
JW...........................................................................Just Wondering (Just Wondering if you're still reading)
KPC......................................................................................Keeping Parents Clueless (Oh no you didn't)
LDTTWA....................Let's Do The Time Warp Again (My thought is...again...you've time warped before)
LTS...............................................................Laughing To Self (LTS about my last response to LDTTWA)
MCIBTY.......My Computer Is Better Than Yours (If you have a Mac, and text this to me, you are correct)
MTFBWY.....................................May The Force Be With You (Nerds everywhere are using this already)
NBFAB........................................Not Bad For A Beginner (If you're texting that...you're NOT a beginner)
NIMJD..........Not In My Job Description (What I say to my family when they leave dirty socks on the floor)
OO........................................................................Over And Out (One of my dear friend's closing phrases)
OTT............................................................Over The Top (A perfect description of one of my dear friends)
PUK............................................................Pick Up Kids (Tommy, you'll have to be very keen on this one)
POCC..........................................Piece Of Crap Computer (Read above message about not having a Mac)
QL......................................................Quit Laughing (I'm not sure I would ever tell anyone to stop laughing)

And last but not least..............................................................................


RUMCYMHMAD...Are You On Medication Cause You Must Have Missed A Dose (I can't QL about that one!)


So let it be said that those who've taken the time to read this post have been somewhat educated in the CRZ (crazy) world of acronyms.  Let us all use them wisely so as to not be reported to the AAAAA....American Association Against Acronym Abuse...Nope didn't make up that acronym either!


No comments:

Post a Comment